Home > 아티스트 > 아티스트

이원일의 창조적 역설

본문

카탈로그 서문

(이원일의 창조적 역설전, 2014. 2. 21~3. 6, 쿤스트독)

이원일의 창조적 역설

책임기획 : 김성호(미술평론가)

IV. 이경호의 '창조적 역설'

이경호는 이번 전시에서 영상과 설치 작업을 통해 '창조적 역설'을 재해석한다.

작품 <Jackpot !>은 제명이 상기하듯이, '대박(Jackpot)'이란 단어가 던지는 역설적 의미를 탐구한다. 이경호는 2013년 박근혜 대통령의 스위스 다보스포럼 연설 중 "통일은 대박"이라는 발언과 더불어 자신의 아들과의 대화에서 사용된 '대박'이란 발언으로부터 영감을 받아 작업을 시작했다고 증언한다. '대박'이라는 같은 단어의 다른 쓰임새에 주목한 작가는 '조소(嘲笑)적 문제제기' '비판적 성찰'의 양단에 선 자신의 작업을 통해서 현대인에게 진정한 대박의 의미가 무엇인지를 묻는다.  작품은 돈의 이미지를 형상화한 영상 작업과 돈의 실재를 드러낸 설치 작업으로 이루어져 있다. 영상 작업은 돈이 무더기로 떨어지는 장면을 고속카메라로 근접 촬영하여 슬로우 영상으로 틀어주는 아름다우면서 동시에 장엄한 한 동영상으로부터 시작된다. 그것은 전시장에서 가장 높은 천장을 지니고 있는 벽면에 투사되어 비장하고도 장엄한 숭고미를 드러낸다. 천천히 떨어지는 클로즈업된 동전들의 낙하를 더욱 숭고한 무엇으로 만들어내는 것은 다름 아닌 음악들이다. 동전들은 카에타누 벨로주(Caetano Velose)의 감미롭고도 애잔한 노래와 더불어 빌리 할리데이(Billie Holiday)의 처연한 노래와 애절한 재즈 선율에 실려 춤을 추듯이 천천히 낙하한다. 인간의 만남과 사랑에 관한 노래 가사들이 흘러나오는 가운데 낙하하는 돈이란 인간 욕망에 대한 또 다른 메타포이다. 그것은 늘 만남과 헤어짐을 반복하는 우리의 '사랑하기'와 닮아있다. 사랑하는 사람 없이 인간이 살아가기 힘들듯이, 돈 없이 인간은 살기 힘들다. 양자 모두는 우리에게 필요한 존재이다. 이렇듯 ', 욕망, 사랑'이 겹쳐진 그의 영상에는 인간의 금전을 향한 욕망 뒤에 추락하는 인간상마저 오버랩되어 있다. 그것은 애처롭거나 처연한 것이자, 삶의 끝자락에서 부둥켜 잡는 가느라단 끈처럼 위태롭기조차 하다. 영상은 후반부에 이르러 캐넌 앤더슨(Canan Anderson)의 전자 바이올린 연주곡에 따라 빠른 속도로 전개되기 시작된다. 끝없이 추락하기만 하던 동전들의 무리는 이경호가 만들어낸 컴퓨터 그래픽의 옷을 입고, 원형 군무를 추면서 ''의 공연을 펼친다. 그것은 매우 흥겨운 공연이지만 한편으로 그것은 우리를 슬프게 하는 스펙터클이다. 그 공연 한 가운데에 세계 근현대사의 처절했던 사건들을 담은 영상이 파노라마처럼 펼쳐지기 때문이다. '동전'에 자신의 모습을 각인시켰던 각 나라의 왕, 여왕, 독재자들의 모습은 물론이고, 정치가, 예술가들의 모습이 겹쳐지고 흩뿌려지면서 영욕 속에 생멸했던 근현대 제국의 역사가 우리의 눈앞을 스쳐지나간다. 거기에는 1, 2차 세계대전, 캄보디아 내전, 광주의 민주화운동, 아랍 혁명, 20/21세기 테러 등의 참담한 역사의 내러티브가 있다. 그 뿐인가? 거기에는 관중의 환호에 응답하는 격한 현대 전사들의 UFC격투기의 장면이, 짜고 치는 프로레슬링의 야만스러운 해학이, 찰리 채플린의 코믹하고도 우울한 제스처가 함께 뒤섞여 있기도 하다. ''이 야기한 신자유주의의 그늘은 이전의 참담한 역사조차도 상업화한다. 그렇다. 어느 시대에나 돈이란, 마치 빌리 할리데이가 부른 또 다른 노래의 가사처럼, 우리에게 "나뭇잎과 뿌리가 피로 물든" 나무에서 열리는 "이상하고도 쓰디 쓴 열매"와 같은 것이다. 그것은 자본주의가 타락의 길로 우리를 유혹하는 낙원의 선악과인 것이다.  우울하고 처연한 영상 밑으로 전시장 바닥에는 실제의 10원짜리 한국 동전과 대만 동전들이 무더기로 쌓여있다. '돈 무더기'이다. 70만원에 이르는 분량의 동전들이 조명을 받아 반짝이는 가운데 금빛 장난감 포크레인이 무더기로 쌓여 있고, 3대의 포크레인이 연신 기계음을 내며 움직인다. 관객의 움직임을 포착하는 센서에 의해 비로소 작동하는 포크레인은 자기 본연의 업무를 지속한다. 흩어진 동전들을 하염없이 담으려고 버둥거리지만, 동전들은 자꾸 미끄러져간다. 이것은 그가 자신의 작업에서 자주 사용하는 하나의 은유이다. 장남감 포크레인은 개발 지상주의를 발전으로 착각하는 이 시대의 지도자, 경제논리에 골몰하는 지배세력을 은유한다. 일예로, 폐쇄카메라를 통해 장난감 포크레인을 촬영하고 실시간으로 벽면에 거대한 움직이는 그림자로 드리운 그의 이전의 영상, 설치작업은 하나의 은유임과 동시에 역설이다. 작품은 포크레인으로부터 당시의 한국적 상황을 관객에게 떠올리게 만들면서도 '기도(prayer)'라는 제목으로 인해 소원/비판, 기도/저항과 같은 대립적 개념을 관객에게 혼성된 무엇으로 인식되게 만들기 때문이다. 이번 작품에서도 장난감 포크레인은, 이 시대의 지배계급에 대한 '은유'이자, 비판적 저항 메시지 자체를 희화시키고 풍자하는 '역설'이기도 하다. 포크레인이 동전 하나 제대로 끌어올리지 못하면서도 연신 굉음을 내며 허우적거리고 있기 때문이다. '이원일이 기획한 한 국제전에 참여했던 그의 또 다른 작품' 역시 장난감 롤러코스트를 화면에 확대 프로젝션한 후 시계의 초침과 대비시켜냄으로써, '빠름/느림'이라고 하는 "20세기의 시간의 의미에 꿈과 허상의 의미를 대비"시키는 서사를 통해 역설을 실천한 바 있다. 이원일은 한 서문에서 이경호의 이러한 대비적 서사에 근거한 역설적 메시지를 담고 있는 작품 〈디지털 달(Digital Moon)〉을 해석하면서 디지털과 아날로그의 교감을 추구한 "꿈과 카오스의 이중주"로 이어지는 끝없는 긍정과 부정이라고 하지 않았던가?"이경호의 새로운 디지털 작업들은 (중략) 변형과 침묵 사이의 유연한 중개적 과정을 디지털 이미지 프로세싱으로 접근하여 자아와 세계의 비선형적, 불가해적 신비의 영역을 탐험하고자 하는 것이다. 그것은 부단한 자기갱신과 확장의 예술적 실천이다. 모니터 공간 속에서 완전히 환원되거나 흡수될 수 없는 불확정성의 세계, 의사환경 속에서 변질된 사이버자아(Cyber-self)의 표류의 시선을 통해 오히려 흔들리는 세계를 바라보려 하는 꿈과 카오스의 불안한 이중주 말이다."

이번 전시 전면에 나서고 있는 '' 역시 그 자체로 역설이다. ''이 우리에게 독려하는 행복한 삶과 돈이 유혹하는 화려한 삶 앞에서 우리는 좌절한다. 있음/없음 사이에서, 행복/불행 사이에서 말이다. 그것은 돈이 있음으로 행복을 성취하는 것이 아닌, 돈이 있음으로 불행할 수 있는 인간 삶의 컨텍스트마저 여실히 드러낸다. 돈이 유혹하는 행복과 화려함 이면에 처절한 지배/피지배의 역사가 반복될 뿐이기 때문이다. 엄청난 양의 ''이 야기하는 '대박'은 언제나 실현성이 희박한 가정일 따름이지만, 간혹 우리의 삶에 들어와 우리의 일상을 훼방한다. 그것은 순전히 우리에게 행복으로부터 불행으로 가는 지름길을 제공할 뿐이니까 말이다. 이처럼 '대박'은 잔잔한 현대인의 일상 자체에 행복/불행을 가르며 파문을 일으킨다. 그럼에도 ''을 위해 오늘도 살고 있는 현대인의 삶은 아이러니 자체이다. 그것은 하나의 역설이다. 이원일의 ‘창조적 역설’이 모순, 아이러니, 유희, 풍자, 반서사와 같은 탐 콘레이의 '창조적 역설'의 개념들과 공유하는 것이라면, 이경호의 그것에 대한 재해석과 실천은 다분히 유희적이고, 풍자적이다. 그는 동전이 가득 쌓인 바닥에 물그릇을 하나 놓아두고 있는데 이경호는 그곳에 관객들이 2층으로부터 동전들을 던져 넣게 유도하고 있다. 마치 로마를 찾는 관광객이 트레비 분수(Fontana de Trevi)에 동전을 던져 넣으면서 자신의 소원을 비는 것처럼, 작가는 이번 전시를 찾는 관객들이 물그릇에 동전을 던져 넣으면서 저마다의 소원을 빌어볼 수 있기를 기대한다. 자신이 만든 '돈밭'에 관객들의 유희적 참여를 도모함으로써 돈과 관련한 '역설적 메시지'들이 보다 더 가시화되기를 기대하고 있는 것이다. 그는 동전 안에 모인 돈들을 따로 모아 시각장애인 단체에 기부할 계획까지 가지고 있는데, 그러한 까닭은 그가 1999년 전시 준비 중에 용접 작업을 하다가 눈에 화상을 입어 하루 동안 시각장애인 체험을 본의 아니게 한 경험을 지니고 있기 때문이다.그의 작품을 이해하는 관건은, 일련의 관객 참여를 도모하는 유희적 퍼포먼스가 실천되고 있지만, 그의 '창조적 역설'에 대한 재해석과 실천이 마냥 즐겁고 유쾌하지만은 않아 보인다는 것에 있다. 그의 작업이 표면적으로 유희, 풍자를 내세우고 있음에도 그의 작업 안에는 '단단한 뼈 있는 농담과 풍자'가 가득하기 때문이다. 게다가 아이러니, 모순 등이 오버랩되어 있는 슬픈 자조와 '상투적인 단어의 의미'를 비트는 비판적 메시지가 그의 작업 심층에서 지속적으로 꿈틀거리고 있기 때문이기도 하다

Excerpts from curator Won-Il Lee’s Creative Paradox Exhibition catalog essay

Kim Sung-ho, Art Critic

Kyung-Ho Lee’s “Creative Paradox” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzH8vV0_sXA

In this exhibition Kyung-Ho Lee reinterprets “creative paradox” through his video and installation works. His work Jackpot!1), as its title indicates, explores this term’s paradoxical import. Lee reveals this work was inspired by the word, “daebak” (Reunification of the Korean Peninsula would bring “daebak”) referring to the “bonanza” or “jackpot” President Park Geun-hye used in her address to the opening session of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in 20132) and the “daebak” he used when talking with his son. Taking note of different uses of the same word “daebak”, the artist asks people what the true meaning of “daebak” is through his work positioned at the two extremes of “mocking problem posing” and “critical introspection”3).

This work consists of two parts: video work giving form to the money image and installation work unveiling the true nature of money. The video work starts with close-up images of a large number of falling coins videotaped with a high-speed camera and played in slow motion. The images appear beautiful and magnificent. The images projected onto the wall with the highest ceiling in the venue bring forth determined, solemn beauty. It is music that makes the slow falling of the coins something more sublime. As if dancing, coins slowly fall with the flow of Caetano Velose’s mellifluous, plaintive song4), Billie Holiday music and pathetic jazz melodies5). The money falling amid songs about human meeting and love is another metaphor for human desire. Like breaking up over and over again, we are in the same relationship with money. As we cannot live without those we love, we also cannot live without money. They both are all indispensable. The video images indicate an overlap of “money, desire, and love” and even the idea of falling in love with money.

In the second half the video, images swiftly develop to the accompaniment of Canan Anderson’s electronic violin melodies.6) A heap of coins perform a circular dance in groups, which is depicted with computer graphics. The performance is very cheerful but displays a spectacle that makes us feel very sorrowful with panoramic video images of horrible events in contemporary world history mixed with the performance. The histories of modern and contemporary empires that rose and fell in glory and shame pass before our eyes with images of kings, queens, and dictators who engraved their likeness on coins, overlapped by images of politicians and artists. There are deplorable historical narratives on the First and Second World War, the Cambodian civil war, the Gwangju Democratization Movement, the Arab Revolution, and terrorism in the 20thth and 21stst century. Also included are scenes of UFC martial arts warriors being cheered by spectators, barbarous humors in a predetermined professional wrestling match, and Charles Chaplin’s comic yet gloomy gestures. Neo-liberalism occasioned by money commercializes even miserable history. Like the lyrics of another song by Billie Holiday7), in any age money is like “a strange and bitter crop”9) from the tree with “blood on the leaves and blood at the root”8). This is like the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge in paradise, tempting us to take the path of decadence.

Visible under the flow of gloomy, plaintive video scenes, on the floor of the venue, is a heap of ten-won Korean coins, and Taiwanese coins. It is “a mound of money”. While the coins - equivalent to 700,000 won - glitters, lit by lighting, three hydraulic shovels move, making machine sound. There is also a heap of gold-color toy hydraulic shovels. A hydraulic shovel operated by a sensor catching viewer movement commits itself to its duty. It tries to insert coins, but the coins slip from the shovel. It is a metaphor Lee often adopts in his work.10)

An example is one of his previous video installation works11) in which he videotaped a toy hydraulic shovel with a CCTV camera and projected it as an enormous moving shadow on a wall in real-time. In this work a hydraulic shovel reminded viewers of the Korean situation whereas its title Prayer made them realize confronting concepts such as wish/criticism and prayer/resistance as something hybrid. In this work a plaything excavator is a “metaphor” for the ruling class of the time and a “paradox” caricaturing and lampooning critical, resistant messages. That is why the excavator cannot insert a coin: it just makes a thundering noise. In his other work12) displayed at an international art show Lee Won-ill curated the artist has practiced a paradox through a narrative presenting “a contrast between the meaning of time – quick and slow - in the 20th century and the meaning of dream and illusion”13) by contrasting the enlarged projected image of a plaything rollercoaster with the secondhand of a watch. In the catalog essay Lee Won-il interpreted his work Digital Moon, conveying a paradoxical message based on such contrasting narrative, as constant affirmation and negation following “a duet of dream and chaos”.

“Kyung-Ho Lee’s new digital work ------- explores the nonlinear, inexplicable, mysterious area of the self and the world, approaching a flexible intermediate process between modification and silence through digital image processes. It is an artistic practice of constant self-renewal and expansion. It is a disquieting duet of dream and chaos, trying to see a world of uncertainty that cannot be completely reduced or absorbed in a monitor and the shaking world from the floating perspective of cyber-self, denatured in a pseudo-environment.”14)

“Money”, which comes to the fore in this exhibition, is a paradox per se. We are often frustrated by money enabling us to live a happy or resplendent life between have and have-not, fortune and misfortune. Money explicitly unveils a context in human life: we can be happy with money and also unhappy with it. The history of dominance and sub-ordinance repeats under the hidden side of happiness and flamboyance brought by money. “Daebak” is always nothing but a bare possibility, but at times infiltrates our lives and interrupts our everyday. As such, “daebak” creates a stir, drawing a line between fortune and misfortune in contemporary people’s everyday lives. Nevertheless, contemporary humans live for money, which is an irony itself or paradox.

Won-il’ Lee’s “creative paradox” is parallel to Tom Conley’s “creative paradox” referring to contradiction, irony, play, or anti-narrative while Kyung-Ho Lee’s reinterpretation and practice of “creative paradox” is rather playful and satirical. As travelers to Rome toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain to make a wish, Lee has placed a bowl on the floor, inducing viewers to throw coins into it from the second floor. The artist expects that viewers make wishes, tossing coins into the bowl in the exhibition. He seems to have an expectation that their playful engagement more obviously visualizes “paradoxical messages” pertaining to money. He has a plan to donate the coins collected to an organization for the blind15) because he unintentionally had an experience of being blind for one day when he burned his eye while welding in 1999.16) 

Crucial to understanding his work is his reinterpretation and practice of “creative paradox” is not always hilarious and delightful despite his playful performance encouraging viewer participation. His work superficially highlights amusement and satire, but brims with “jokes and satire with a hidden, solid meaning”. Sorrowful self-deprecation overlapped with irony and contradiction and critical messages twisting the “import of hackneyed words” are constantly found in the depth of his work.

The Universe in a Bathtub

I discover the universe in a drain-hole in the bathroom.

A myriad of insects proceeding toward white light reflected in the bathroom in search of something –

The unidentified, flamboyant insects seeking something are in contrast with feeble humans

Washing my body, I discover life in the water that is like amniotic fluid.

Where do we live?

Prayer in the tranquil world ----

I save impressive moments I meet by chance in a journey or in everyday life.

I collect documentaries as imaginations, photographs, or things.

Things I overlooked, showed, placed here or there and abandoned touch something in my subconscious.

I envisage space, and form enters in my eyes. What comes next is practice.

The theme is life. Numerous stories derive from life and death, beginning and end. As I will remain incomplete even in the moment of my death, I do not know what the correct answer is. Answers change at every moment due to my action.

If I have lived for momentary objectives and immediate results, what matters now is for what and whom I have to live this dew-like life.

The indicator of life, spiritual frequency, means for communication among people, setting the range of feeling, a challenge to capture light --------- As moths fly into light, we humans proceed to achromatic light.

August 25, 2006

I look for solutions through children.

Our futures that were my past -----

Waiting, passing, realizing, and reviving ----

Peter Handke’s Song of Childhood hovers.

주소:광주광역시 남구 천변좌로338번길 7(구동 12) | 대표번호:062-000-0000 | FAX:062-670-7929
Copyright(c)2016 By GJMA, ALL Right Reserved